Samsung led the February 2022 top 10 5G Android smartphones list with five spots, according to Counterpoint Research Handset Model Sales Tracker. The brand’s Galaxy A52s 5G was the best-selling 5G Android smartphone globally, followed by the Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S21 FE 5G and Galaxy A32 5G. These smartphones along with the Galaxy A22 5G, which took the tenth position, contributed over half of Samsung’s 5G sales in February 2022. Driven by these models, Samsung led the overall 5G Android segment in February 2022, capturing almost 24% of the global 5G Android smartphone sales.
Besides Samsung, HONOR captured two spots, followed by one spot each for vivo, OPPO and Xiaomi. China’s market drove the sales for these smartphones. 5G has become a standard offering in China with 5G penetration in the country being 83% in February 2022. vivo, OPPO, Xiaomi and HONOR are the top 5G Android players in the Chinese market. These brands are further expanding their 5G portfolios in the emerging markets of APAC and MEA. After separating from Huawei, HONOR is increasing its presence across price bands and focusing on the premium segment as well, with expansion plans for Europe and Asia.
Overall, the Android segment captured 67% of the global 5G sales in February 2022, with the top 10 5G Android best-selling smartphones contributing to 20% of the 5G Android smartphone sales during the month.
- Samsung’s Galaxy A52s 5G continued to be the best-selling smartphone from January 2022. The model had been featuring in the top 10 best-selling 5G Android smartphones list for the previous six consecutive months. Western Europe was the major contributor to the strong performance of the Galaxy A52s 5G.
- The Galaxy S22 Ultra entered the bestseller list at the second position within its launch month of February. The model’s sales started off better than the Galaxy S21. With two-thirds of sales in the Galaxy S22 series coming from the Galaxy S22 Ultra, it was the highest-selling smartphone in the series in February 2022. South Korea and the US were the key markets driving its sales.
- The Galaxy S21 FE ascended to the third position in February 2022. In January 2022, the smartphone was at the tenth spot. The US and Germany were the top markets for this model. Sales were also driven by promotions offered by the US operators including Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.
- Samsung is bringing 5G to its budget Galaxy A Series this year. The Galaxy A32 5G and Galaxy A22 5G took the fourth and tenth positions respectively. Sub-$250 smartphones with 5G capability were the driving factor for these models. India and the UK were the top markets for the Galaxy A22. The Galaxy A32 5G’s sales were driven by the US and UK markets.
- OPPO’s Reno 7 5G was the fifth best-selling 5G Android smartphone. This was also the top Android smartphone in China in February 2022. 60W fast charging, Snapdragon 778 chipset and 64 MP triple camera were some of the prominent features of this smartphone. OPPO’s rebranding of the Reno series to the mid segment in 2021 has proved to be a success.
- The HONOR 60 and HONOR X30 took the sixth and ninth positions respectively. These smartphones contributed 30% towards HONOR’s share in China. The HONOR 60 featured in the top five best-selling smartphones in China in February 2022.
- Sub-$350 smartphones vivo S12 and Xiaomi Redmi K40 managed to grab the seventh and eighth positions respectively, driving volumes in the mid segment.