According to the latest research from Counterpoint Research’s Market Monitor service for Q3 2015 (July-Sept), overall mobile phone market (smartphones + feature phones) in Middle East & Africa (MEA) grew 23% Y/Y with smartphone segment growing 31% Y/Y almost three times faster than the global smartphone growth.
Apple grew 133% Y/Y to enter the top five smartphone brand rankings in the region whereas the local brand Tecno grew to become the third largest smartphone brand during Q3 2015
- Smartphone contributed to more than half of the total handsets shipments in Q3-2015 in MEA.
- MEA is a highly polarized market as the top 8 brands contributed to almost three-fourths of the smartphone shipment volumes in the region.
- LTE segment continues to grow with almost one in three smartphone shipped during Q3-2015 is an LTE capable phone, prompting the brands to include more LTE phones in their portfolio in 2016.
- Apple grew strong with 133% Y/Y smartphone shipment growth taking share away from Samsung & Sony in the premium segment
- Samsung’s smartphone share stood at 41% in the region down from 50% in Q3 2014 and 56% in Q3 2013. Stronger pan-MEA distribution network continues to help the Korean vendor maintain significant volumes in the region.
- Tecno had a successful year so far as it climbed to become the third largest smartphone brand in MEA for the first time. Tecno has been successful at expanding its brand and footprint across Africa and introduce feature-rich but cost-competitive mid-tier smartphones helping it double (123% Y/Y) their smartphone shipment in just one year.
- Among other local players iTel, Infinix also showed encouraging traction by introducing stylish budget smartphones with strong presence in Nigeria. They have climbed into our top ten rankings securing eight and tenth position respectively.
- MEA is becoming a key market for Chinese players, those who are targeting to grow beyond China. Huawei is the number two smartphone brand in the region with a healthy growth rate of 74% Y/Y. Other Chinese brands which are expanding and gaining traction are Meizu +300% Y/Y, Gionee 250% Y/Y and Lenovo 33% Y/Y.
The comprehensive and in-depth Q3 2015 Market Monitor for ME&A and other countries globally is available for subscribing clients. Please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com for further questions regarding our in-depth latest research, insights or press enquiries.
The Market Monitor research is based on sell-in (shipments) estimates based on vendor’s quarterly results, vendor-polling triangulated with sell-through (sales), supply chain checks and secondary research.