Seoul, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Beijing, London, Buenos Aires, San Diego – June 29th, 2018
IoT World 2018 was a comprehensive event in Santa Clara, CA covering the entire IoT value chain with more than 300 players exhibiting and 12000+ professionals attending. Counterpoint’s analysts attended the three-day event, interacting with hundreds of high-growth companies, understanding their solutions, strategies and real-life IoT case studies across different applications and verticals.
The top fifty companies that grabbed our attention, span across the entire IoT value chain from chipset components, to modules, to gateways, to software platforms, to cloud. Some of our key findings include:
- Growing maturity in technologies such as Secure Chipsets, Sensors, Low Power Connectivity, Data Ingestion Platforms, Middleware Security, AI, Cloud & Edge Processing and more.
- These technologies are powering thousands of current and real-life IoT solutions across more than eight different vertical markets including, Industrial IoT, Smart Home, Smart Cities, Smart Buildings & Construction, Healthcare, Energy & Utilities and Transportation.
- The most active application segment from Counterpoint’s most recent IoT survey confirmed that “Industrial IoT” is the hottest vertical and seeing the most meaningful and lucrative adoption while “Edge Computing” is the key technology/capability focus area for IoT players in 2018 not only in industrial IoT but other segments such as transportation and healthcare.
- Companies are rapidly adopting Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) models to enable a comprehensive offering to unlock key insights, leveraging their platform and, in the process, capturing more long-term value. Microsoft, Cumulocity, Amazon, Ericsson and others showed the most promise in capturing value across multiple IoT solution domains.
- Players such as Foghorn, Soracom, Clearblade, Cradlepoint and Losant are offering their software expertise in cloud and edge to unlock more potential value and competing head on with established players such as Microsoft, Amazon, SAP and others. Each vendor offers unique differentiators in specific application areas, with no one vendor having true end-to-end expertise in all the application segments that Counterpoint is tracking.
- Other big trends include a range of hardware players from components, to modules, to devices, to gateways. Many vendors are seeing more commercial success by bundling software or cloud to offer a solution to differentiate and capture more value in a crowded ecosystem of IoT vendors.
We rated vendors that made their presence felt at IoT World on 11 criteria. The weighted scores are summarized in the chart below:
We have analyzed in detail many key players to watch for in the IoT value chain. In addition we’ve highlighted multiple insights with reference to each part in the value chain in our latest comprehensive report on IoT World which is published here.
Counterpoint Technology Market Research is a global research firm specializing in Technology products in the TMT industry. It services major technology firms and financial firms with a mix of monthly reports, customized projects and detailed analysis of the mobile and technology markets. Its key analysts are experts in the industry with an average tenure of 15 years in the high-tech industry.
+1 617 336 8381