Our Q2 2021 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one infographic each quarter to summarize the mobile handset market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations on the smartphone market:
- The global smartphone market declined 9% QoQ but grew 17% YoY in Q2 2021, clocking shipments of 323.1 million units, down from 354.9 million units in Q1 2021.
- Samsung retained the top spot as the world’s biggest OEM despite a 25% QoQ decline in its shipments to 57.6 million units in Q2 2021.
- Apple’s global shipments declined by about 18% QoQ to 48.9 million units in Q2 2021, but it captured a record second-quarter shipment share driven by persistent demand for the iPhone 12 series.
- Xiaomi shipped over 52 million smartphones in Q2 2021, becoming the world’s second-largest smartphone brand for the first time.
- vivo’s shipments grew 44% YoY to reach 32.5 million units in Q2 2021, driven by its strong performance in China.
Some quick observations on the feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 19% QoQ in Q2 2021 but grew 21% YoY from a relatively small base in Q2 2020.
- The MEA region emerged as the biggest feature phone market with an increased share of 44% in Q2 2021 against 35% in Q1 2021.
- India slipped to the second position in the global feature phone market. Its market share declined from 38% in Q1 2021 to 24% in Q2 2021.
- Shipments in North America declined 76% YoY, followed by Europe where they declined 10% YoY.
- From a brand point of view, the global feature phone market remained stable with itel, HMD and TECNO retaining the top three positions respectively.