Some quick observations on the smartphone market:
- The global smartphone market declined 9% QoQ but grew 17% YoY in Q2 2021, clocking shipments of 323.1 million units, down from 354.9 million units in Q1 2021.
- Samsung retained the top spot as the world’s biggest OEM despite a 25% QoQ decline in its shipments to 57.6 million units in Q2 2021.
- Apple’s global shipments declined by about 18% QoQ to 48.9 million units in Q2 2021, but it captured a record second-quarter shipment share driven by persistent demand for the iPhone 12 series.
- Xiaomi shipped over 52 million smartphones in Q2 2021, becoming the world’s second-largest smartphone brand for the first time.
- vivo’s shipments grew 44% YoY to reach 32.5 million units in Q2 2021, driven by its strong performance in China.
North America Regional Insights
Global Trackers & Reports (Client Access)
- Monthly Market Pulse – August 2021
- India Monthly Smartphone Market Analysis 2021 Aug
- Global Handset Production Report 2020
- Europe Monthly report – Samsung bounces back in July; but Q4 will belong to Apple
- Market Monitor Q2 2021 – Quarterly Market Detailed Overview
- China E-commerce Channel Smartphone Market Analysis H1 2021
North America Trackers & Reports (Client Access)
- USA Biweekly Report – Motorola shortages in August slow sales
- Motorola, OnePlus Gain from LG’s Decline at Prepaid Carriers
- US Monthly Smartphone Market Analysis – July 2021
- USA Biweekly Report – Amazon Sales Fall in 2021 as Shoppers Return to Buying in Person
- North America Online-Offline Monthly Channel Tracker-July 2021