According to our latest research from Market Monitor program for Q1 2015 (Jan-Mar), India Tablet Market declined 5% sequentially but increased by 30% Y-o-Y during the quarter. It has been almost eight quarters and the tablet demand has remain stagnant in terms of overall sequential growth and we expect it to remain the same for a next few quarters as well.
• India Tablet Market declined 5% sequentially but grew 30% Y-o-Y on account of stronger mix of enterprise sales in the overall shipments but the base in terms of overall unit shipments still remains small. However, the consumer segment remained flat during the quarter
• Enterprise shipments accounted for more than a fourth of the total shipments during the quarter with a strong traction in verticals such as BFSI, Retail and Education
• The lack of ubiquitous WiFi, cheaper 3G data plans, declining ASP of connected cellular tablets are changing market preferences of using tablets beyond the four walls and thus has led to the growth of connected tablets which contributed to almost 80% of the total shipments during the quarter
• US$100-$200 retail price band accounted for almost half of the total shipments during the quarter making it the most competitive price band during the quarter
• 7-inch tablets contributed close to two-thirds of the total shipments during the quarter as much of the tablet portfolio of brands in $100-$200 is skewed towards 7-inch screen size
• Samsung continued to be the market leader with a market share of 25% during the quarter followed by Datawind, Micromax, iBall and Apple with a market share of 13%,10%, 8% and 7% respectively
• Going forward, we believe that the shipments of connected tablets (cellular) will continue to grow of the total tablet shipments with most of the impetus coming from 4G LTE tablets. So operators such as Airtel or Reliance Jio are better positioned to drive this trend
Exhibit 1: India Tablet Market 1Q 2015
Source: Counterpoint Research Tablet Market Monitor 1Q 2015 Report
The comprehensive and in-depth 1Q 2015 Tablet Market Monitor is available for subscribing clients. Please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions regarding our in-depth latest research, insights or press enquiries.
The Market Monitor research is based on sell-in (shipments) estimates based on vendor’s IR results, vendor polling triangulated with sell-through (sales), supply chain checks and secondary research.