- Thailand accounted for over 75% of BEV sales in the SEA region during Q1 2023.
- Three out of every four BEVs sold were from a Chinese automaker.
- The top three groups accounted for 68% of BEV sales.
- BYD’s Atto 3 was the best-selling BEV.
New Delhi, London, San Diego, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Beijing, Seoul – July 20, 2023
Southeast Asia’s# (SEA’s) passenger battery electric vehicle (BEV) sales* grew by almost 10 times YoY in Q1 2023, according to the latest research from Counterpoint’s SEA Passenger Electric Vehicle Model Sales Tracker. The share of BEVs in total passenger vehicle sales experienced significant growth in Q1 2023, reaching 3.8% compared to a mere 0.3% one year ago. Thailand emerged as the leading country, capturing over 75% of the BEV sales, followed by Indonesia and Vietnam. Thailand also boasted the highest proportion of BEVs in total passenger vehicle sales, followed by Singapore and Vietnam. However, plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) sales saw a modest YoY growth of 5.8%.
Commenting on the market dynamics, Research Analyst Abhilash Gupta said, “Thailand’s government-led efforts to promote EV sales have yielded positive outcomes, while Indonesia and Vietnam are also performing well in the region. However, Malaysia, Philippines and Myanmar require additional regulatory support and encouragement to foster EV growth. Despite overall passenger vehicle sales remaining relatively stagnant, the sales of BEVs have experienced a significant and rapid expansion. Besides, the market for hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) has experienced remarkable growth in SEA, playing a pivotal role in the transition from traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles to EVs.”
Gupta added, “Chinese auto groups are experiencing rapid growth and outpacing their competitors in the SEA region, with their market share increasing from 38% a year ago to nearly 75%. In Q1 2023, BYD Group emerged as the BEV leader in the SEA region, capturing the majority of sales, followed by Hozon New Energy, and SAIC Group. These top three groups collectively accounted for over 68% of the BEV market. In the PHEV market, Geely Holding Group claimed the top position, followed by BMW Group, and Mercedes-Benz Group.”
BYD’s Atto 3 was the best-selling BEV across SEA, followed by the Neta V and Tesla Model Y. In PHEVs, Volvo’s XC60 sold the most, followed by the BMW 3 series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
Commenting on the market outlook, Senior Analyst Soumen Mandal said, “In addition to offering subsidies and tax incentives, Thailand’s government has set ambitious goals to position itself as a global hub for EV production. The country’s EV sector has witnessed a significant rise in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the past year. Notably, several Chinese automakers, including Great Wall Motors, BYD, Hozon New Energy and Changan Automobile, have shown interest in establishing or have already commenced the construction of production facilities in Thailand. Similarly, Indonesia announced a subsidy package in March 2023 to promote the purchase and manufacturing of EVs, with a special focus on increasing local production. This move is expected to further accelerate the production and sales of EVs in the region.”
Mandal added, “The Chinese presence in the SEA EV market is poised to strengthen as they establish regional manufacturing bases, thereby driving further growth in the EV sector. The overall sales of EVs are experiencing an upward trajectory in the SEA region. The outlook appears promising, and there is an expectation that the share of BEVs in total vehicle sales will reach 6% by the end of this year.”
*Sales refer to wholesale figures, i.e. deliveries from factories by the respective brands/companies.
#SEA here includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
The comprehensive and in-depth ‘Southeast Asia Passenger Electric Vehicle Model Sales Tracker, Q1 2018 – Q1 2023’ is now available for purchase at report.counterpointresearch.com.
Feel free to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding our latest research and insights.
Counterpoint Technology Market Research is a global research firm specializing in products in the TMT (technology, media, and telecom) industry. It services major technology and financial firms with a mix of monthly reports, customized projects, and detailed analyses of the mobile and technology markets. Its key analysts are seasoned experts in the high-tech industry.
Follow Counterpoint Research
- European EV Sales Increased Over 13% YoY in Q1 2023 with Tesla Model Y as Bestseller
- US EV Sales Up 79% YoY in Q1 2023 Helped by Tax Credit Subsidy
- China EV Sales Defy Subsidy Cuts, Maintain Strong Growth in Q1 2023
- Global EV Sales Up 32% YoY in Q1 2023 Driven by Price War
- Global Passenger Electric Vehicle Market Share, Q2 2021 – Q1 2023
- Google Puts Auto Expansion in Top Gear
- Connected Car Sales Grew 12% YoY in 2022 With Volkswagen Group in Lead
- Price Cuts Boost Tesla Revenue in Q1, Profit Slumps Compared to 2022
- Global Electric Vehicle Sales Crossed 10 Million in 2022; Q4 Sales up 53% YoY
- Berlin Factory Takes Tesla to Top Spot in Europe EV Sales as Chinese Brands Gain Ground
- EV Sales in US up 54.5% YoY in 2022; Tesla Market Share at 50.5%
- AI Voice Assistants to Push Success of Autonomous Driving, Software-defined Vehicle
- Thailand Leads Southeast Asia EV Market With 60% Share