According to the latest research from Counterpoint’s Market Pulse Q1 2018, Samsung J2 prime was the best-selling model in the LATAM region. Samsung’s success is completely dependent on the affordable J series, as LATAM is a price sensitive market. All other series are considered too pricey for mass consumers in the region.
Motorola captured three positions due to its affordable C series and E series. As LATAM is an operator dominated market, Motorola’s success is dependent on good relationships with operators and affordable phones which cater to the needs of the market.
- Around 80% of the total smartphone market falls in the less than 200 USD price band. Samsung dominates 2/5th of the market in this price band and this clearly shows its domination in the market with 36.7% share in Q1 2018 .
- Samsung’s bestselling models accounts for 27% of the total smartphone market.
- Samsung’s J2 Prime was by far, the top-selling model in LATAM during the last 10 months.
- Motorola had a 10% share in the <199 USD price band, mainly due to its C series.
- Average Selling Price (ASP) of the top ten best sellers is below 220 USD.
Contact us at press(at)counterpointresearch.com for further questions regarding our latest in-depth research, insights or press enquiries.