Our Q3 2021 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one infographic each quarter to summarize the mobile handset market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations on the smartphone market:
- The global smartphone market grew 6% QoQ but declined 6% YoY in Q3 2021, clocking shipments of 342 million units, down from 365.6 million in Q3 2020.
- Samsung retained the number one spot in Q3 2021 with its smartphone shipments increasing 20% QoQ to 69.3 million units.
- Apple’s global shipments increased by about 15% YoY to 48 million units in Q3 2021 driven by persistent demand for the iPhone 12 series and the launch of iPhone 13 series.
- Xiaomi shipped 44.4 million units in Q3 2021, down 5% YoY and 15% QoQ as it was severely hit by the ongoing component shortages.
- realme achieved its highest ever shipments with 16.2 million units in Q3 2021. The record quarter came at a time when component shortages were at their peak.
Some quick observations on the feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 16% YoY in Q3 2021 but grew 12% QoQ.
- The MEA region emerged as the biggest feature phone market with an increased share of 38% in Q3 2021 against 37% in Q3 2020.
- India slipped to the second position in the global feature phone market. However its market share increased from 36% in Q3 2020 to 38% in Q3 2021.
- Shipments in North America declined 44% YoY, followed by Europe where they declined 40% YoY.
- From a brand point of view, the global feature phone market remained stable with itel, HMD and TECNO retaining the top three positions respectively.