Our Q4-2018 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one Infographic in each quarter to summarize the handset and smartphone market activities in a single page.

Some quick observations from this edition: 

  • Global smartphone shipments declined 7% annually reaching 394.5 million units in Q4 2018. Emerging markets
    growth could not offset the decline in developed markets.
  • All the regions declined amidst a global slowdown. Central & Eastern Europe was the only region with positive growth.
  • Top 10 OEMs contribute almost 78% of the global smartphone market, thereby leaving 600+ brands competing for the remaining 22% of the market.
  • Samsung led the smartphone market by volume while Huawei and Google were among the fastest growing brands during the quarter.
  • Huawei continues to have its sights on Apple and should surpass Apple as the second largest brand globally in 2019 if it doesn’t face any sanctions from the US in the way ZTE was cut-off from US suppliers (e.g. Google, Qualcomm, US RF components, etc).
  • Apple iPhone shipments declined 15% annually during the quarter, revenues for the device declined 16% annually with a record average selling price of $789. But overall 2018 revenues for iPhone grew 6% annually.

Use this button to download the PDF version of the Q4 2018 Infographic:Infographic 2018_Q4