After two years of virtual presence, the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) was back in Las Vegas this month. Major consumer electronics and technology brands like Samsung, LG, Huawei and HTC participated in the event. The consumer IoT (CIoT) announcements at the event mainly revolved around gaming, high-quality display products, advanced audio processing technologies, smart security solutions, seamless connectivity (Matter), artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics. We have covered below some of the major CIoT announcements at CES 2022:
Gaming monitors by Samsung and LG
World’s first dual UHD gaming monitor by Samsung
- Odyssey Neo G9 is the world’s first gaming monitor with a dual ultra-high-definition (UHD) resolution. It has a 1000R curved 57” screen with 7,680×2,160 resolution and a 32:9 aspect ratio.
- The display is equipped with quantum micro-LED technology for a better visual experience.
- It is supported by the world’s first DisplayPort 2.1, which is capable of transferring data at twice the speed of the previous version.
- For a smooth gaming experience, it offers a 0.1ms response time and 240Hz refresh rate. It is equipped with OTT apps (Prime Video, Netflix and YouTube) and the Samsung Gaming Hub streaming platform.
- With the new monitor lineup, Samsung is focusing on enhancing the immersive experience of gamers through superior quality visual display and better refresh rate.
Other notable launches by Samsung
- ViewFinity S9 is the newest addition to its monitor lineup. It comes with a 5K 27” screen for the first time. It is specially designed for creative professionals such as graphic designers and photographers.
- Smart Monitor M8 has been launched in two variants – 27” and 32” – with 4K resolution. The main highlights of the device are its slick design and focus on advanced security through Samsung Knox Vault.
LG’s latest flagship gaming monitor 32GQ950
- This is LG’s first-ever 45-inch curved OLED gaming monitor which offers a 240Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms (GTG) response time for low-latency gaming applications.
- It has an ultra-wide 21:9 aspect ratio and 800R curvature with a 3,440×1440 resolution.
- It also sports an anti-glare and low reflection (AGLR) panel design to adjust the lighting in a bright room setting.
- LG also quietly showcased a new gaming laptop (LG UltraGear 17G90Q) and UltraGear gaming speakers. With these new devices, it appears that LG is also shifting its focus toward gaming.
Lenovo tablet launch
Lenovo Tab Extreme
- Lenovo Tab Extreme comes with a 14.5-inch OLED display and is also supported by Dolby Vision and HDR10+ to deliver superior quality while watching movies or series. It has eight speakers which are tuned by JBL.
- It is equipped with a Dimensity 9000 chipset, 12 GB of RAM, 256 GB of internal storage, 12,300 mAh battery, 68W fast-charging support and Wi-Fi 6E connectivity.
- The touch display can also be operated with the in-house Lenovo Precision Pen 3.
- The device is mainly targeted towards the enterprise segment. It will be available in the second half of this year in the US market for $1,199. At this price point, it is mainly competing with Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra and Apple’s iPad Pro.
Interesting TV launches
World’s first smart TV metaverse experience
- Source Digital (a data-driven engagement platform) and Sansar (a social VR platform) showcased their metaverse offerings and capabilities on a smart TV to find new ways of monetizing the digital experience of users. The companies formed a partnership in July last year.
- Through their user-friendly application, users can immersively watch real-time events such as concerts and sports events in a 2D or 3D setup. It also allows consumers to interact and engage with other people and even purchase merchandise.
- The Sansar app is available on webOS LG smart TVs. Users will benefit from a personalized content experience. Last year, Samsung also partnered with Nifty Gateway to develop the first-ever smart TV non-fungible token (NFT) platform.
Samsung introduces new Neo QLED, Micro LED and OLED TVs
- The Neo QLED lineup is powered by the company’s advanced Neural Quantum Processor and comes in 4K and 8K variants. The TVs are equipped with a single chip module for built-in Matter, Thread and Zigbee for seamless connectivity.
- Samsung also released its bezel-less MicroLED TVs in display sizes of 50, 63, 76, 89, 101, 114 and 140 inches.
- Samsung’s 2023 OLED lineup is now available in 55, 65 and the new ultra-large 77 inches models with 144 Hz refresh rate. For the first time, these Samsung OLED TV models receive AMD’s FreeSync Premium Pro certification.
- With these new devices, Samsung is aiming to enhance the viewing experience with better picture quality and offering a multi-device compatibility feature which is mostly absent in premium devices.
- To deliver a smooth connected device experience, this time, SmartThings syncs not just with Samsung devices but also with third-party appliances and other IoT devices. Samsung has also integrated features like Chat Together (real-time chat), ConnecTime (video calls), 3D Map View and Samsung Gaming Hub to drive user engagement.
Skyworth showcases world’s first outdoor Google TV
- The new model S1 is equipped with eight speakers and is supported by Dolby Atmos and HDR10 for an enhanced audio-visual experience.
- The brand is focusing on providing high peak brightness and introducing high contrast to upgrade the product experience in its new smart TV.
- In addition to S1, the brand also released the W82 Transformable OLED TV, Q52 Mini LED TV, G3B QLED+ TV, and the Coolita OS smart TV system.
LG releases world’s first wireless OLED TV
- LG Signature OLED M (model M3) TV is the world’s first 97-inch wireless TV that comes with an OLED display. LG is setting the benchmark for innovation with this new device.
- The device supports content at 4K 120Hz and uses the company’s Zero Connect technology which is a wireless solution for the transmission of video and audio in real time.
- This model also won the CES 2023 Innovation Award in two categories.
New smartwatches and TWS models from leading brands
Citizen releases Smart Sport and CZ Smart Casual
- The claimed unique thing about these wearable devices is that they come with a built-in self-care advisor which offers personalized recommendations to create better routine habits.
- Both these devices are supported by Google WearOS and the key differentiating factor is the case size and design.
- These smartwatches are equipped with a heart rate sensor, SPO2, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, built-in speaker, NFC and fast-charging support. Prices range from $350 to $435. These smartwatches will be available in the US from March 2023.
Fossil Gen 6 Hybrid Wellness Edition
- The watch has mechanical hands that function like a vintage watch and a digital display that can be used to track health-related features and get weather-related updates.
- This smartwatch is specifically designed for mechanical watch lovers and will be available at a price point of $299.
Verizon’s Gizmo Watch 3 for kids
- This smartwatch comes in two attractive colors – blue clay and mint – and is specifically designed for kids to track their location for safety purposes.
- It is priced at $149 and is capable of recording videos, along with the ability to send and receive messages and phone calls. It has built-in cellular connectivity.
- Verizon is also offering $100 discount on the second Gizmo Watch 3 purchase for families with multiple kids.
Motorola launches new ANC earbuds: Moto Buds 600
- It is the latest audio offering by the brand that comes at a price of $149.99.
- The device is equipped with fast pair technology and comes with Bluetooth multi-point technology which allows the buds to be connected to two different devices simultaneously.
- The device also supports Google Assistant and Wireless Charging.
JBL announces JBL Tour Pro 2 wireless earbuds
- It offers the world’s first smart charging case. These earbuds come with a touchscreen on the charging case to quickly access the volume buttons, manage music, receive calls and receive social media notifications in real time without referring to an app or smartphone.
- These earbuds will be available in the US for $249.95.
boAt showcases advanced audio products
- boAt has partnered with tech firms such as Dolby, Dirac, Mimi and CEVA to showcase its advanced range of audio products.
- boAt showcased its new Rockerz 330/333 ANC neckbands which are powered by Dirac Opteo technology.
- Some of the other products launched in partnership with Dirac include the Rockerz Apex neckband, Nirvana Nebula, Airdopes Synth TWS and Nirvana 525 ANC neckband.
- These new products are aimed at providing personalized audio offerings to enhance the user experience.
- All the new TWS devices aim at improving the listening experience along with the diffusion of fast-charging capabilities so that they can be used for a longer duration.
Smart security products by Amazon
Amazon expanded its Ring product lineup with a new dashcam ‘Ring Car Cam’ and video doorbell ‘Ring Peephole Cam’
- Ring Car Came comes with a dual-facing camera for interior and exterior view recording from the vehicle. It is also equipped with smart sensors to detect events around the vehicle. It is available for preorders at $199.99.
- Ring Peehole Cam is a video doorbell that is equipped with a 1080p HD camera and motion detectors for smart security. It is now available in the US for $129.99.
Other notable smart device launches
- Ring showcased a first view of its smart home security drone. It is a mini-drone that can be used as a flying security camera to spy on unusual activities at home.
- Shelly, a division of Allterco Robotics, introduced eight new smart home products. The main products include a smoke alarm detector, energy meter, Android wall panel, door/window sensor, smart logs, and a Bluetooth device that can control all other smart home devices. The aim is to make these devices affordable for a large group of people.
- Smartsound unveiled the world’s first AI-based smart stethoscope series under the names Skeeper R1, H1 and P1. These stethoscopes are designed to identify and monitor heart and lung sounds for remote medical treatment and home care.
- Smart appliances by Samsung
- Bespoke AI Oven: This smart oven is equipped with a ‘Sense Inside’ feature which can recognize up to 80 different dishes through an AI-based image recognition system, thus offering greater convenience and helping avoid overcooking of the food. It is the first AI food recognition algorithm that has received verification from UL solutions. It is currently available in Europe and will be available for sale in North America in Q3 2023.
- Bespoke 4-door Flex refrigerator comes with a massive 32-inch touchscreen: It comes with a four-door design, and a very large display to control all other smart home devices, play music, watch videos and do grocery shopping through the SmartThings app.
- Bespoke washer and dryer pair that use AI to optimize temperature settings and determine the ideal amount of detergent for each load.
- Roborock refreshed its S8 series of robot vacuums: The top model in the refreshed series is the Roborock S8 Pro Ultra which has a 6kPa suction power as compared to 5.1kPa offered in the previous version. The new series focuses on enhancing cleaning efficiency through advanced features. The price of the Roborock series starts from $749.
- Withings U-Scan urine analyzer: It is a Wi-Fi-connected device that is placed inside the toilet to analyze urine. It helps in providing nutrition and hydration information along with information on women’s menstrual health.
Most of the smart TV players focused on delivering superior quality and fast-gaming experience through bigger-size, high-quality OLED displays and better refresh rates. This time, the focus was also on multi-device connectivity features along with Matter support. Most of the technology companies focused on improving the customer experience.
In the wearables segment, the emphasis continued to be on health-related aspects and fast-charging support. Another important area that gained traction was smart security solutions due to the need for child and elderly care and to serve the needs of working professionals.
The CIoT market holds tremendous potential to grow in the coming period owing to an increased focus on affordability and integration of the latest tech innovations.