Our Q2-2019 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one Infographic in each quarter to summarize the handset and smartphone market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations from the smartphone market:
- Global smartphone shipments declined 3% annually reaching 354 million units in Q2 2019.
- India (5.8% YoY) grew the highest followed by MEA(5.6% YoY). Western Europe declined the most at 8% YoY.
- Samsung, backed by its overhauled portfolio of M and A series grew 7.1% YoY after 6 consecutive quarters of annual decline.
- The effect of trade ban on Huawei was not severe during this quarter. It grew 4.4% YoY. However, its overseas shipment will decline in Q3 2019.
- Apple iPhone shipments fell 11%, and iPhone revenues fell 12% year-on-year. It slipped out of top 5 in the MEA market. However, the sales trends for Apple are improving.
- Samsung led the 5G devices market with its flagship Samsung S10 5G, which remains popular in the 5G adopting countries like Korea.
- BBK Group (OPPO, Vivo, Realme, and OnePlus) is now the second-largest smartphone manufacturer globally.
- Realme entered the top 10 OEMs globally for the first time.
Some quick observations from the Feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 23% annually reaching 86 million units in Q2 2019.
- Over one third of the global feature phone market was captured by MEA followed by India. Together they captured 65% of the total feature phone market.
- The shipments for smart feature phones in Africa are increasing with launch of KaiOS powered devices with Orange and MTN.
- Jio continued to decline steeply at 64% YoY due to inventory build up.
- iTel surpassed HMD to capture the top spot in the feature phone segment in Q2 2019.
- Sonim with its rugged feature phones and Doro with its KaiOS based feature phones continue to do well in their respective markets.