Q1 2014 : Smartphone Brands Market Share By US Carriers
According to latest research from Counterpoint’s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever.
Some highlights during the quarter for the US smartphone market include:
- Samsung was the top handset supplier while Apple was the top smartphone supplier
- Apple & Samsung together captured more than two-thirds of the smartphone market
- TCL-Alcatel became the fourth largest handset supplier and fifth largest smartphone supplier in USA, maninly taking share away from Huawei
- Android share rose to 59% of the total smartphone shipped during the quarter & Windows Phone grew to slightly under 4%
- Three out of four smartphones shipped during the quarter were LTE smartphones
- Apple & Samsung combined captured more than 70% of the LTE shipments
- In terms of in-carrier share for the brands, Apple dominated the big two carriers capturingmore than half of Verizon & AT&T’s smartphone shipments and more than a third of smartphone shipments at T-Mobile & Sprint respectively
- Samsung was the top brand at T-Mobile and regional carriers while the next best performing brands were: Nokia (at AT&T), Alcatel (at T-Mobile), ZTE (at Sprint) & Motorola (at Verizon)
- T-Mobile (with MetroPCS) is now the third largest smartphone carrier in terms of smartphone volumes buyer closely behind AT&T overtaking Sprint platform (with all MVNOs). Uncarrier strategy is surely working for the carrier attracting a wave of new smartphone subscribers
Exhibit: OEMs Smartphone market share by Carrier for Q1 2014
Please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further questions regarding our in-depth latest research, insights or press enquiries.
For over more than a decade, he has been offering expert strategic advice that has been highly regarded across different industries especially in telecom.
Prior to Counterpoint, Neil worked at Strategy Analytics as a Senior Analyst (Telecom). Neil also had an opportunity to work with Philips Electronics in multiple roles.
He is also an IEEE Certified Wireless Professional with a Master of Science (Telecommunications & Business) from the University of Maryland, College Park, USA.
Latest posts by Neil Shah (see all)
- Q1 2015 : Smartphone Brands Market Share By US Carriers – May 21, 2015
- Market Monitor : Q1 2015 : Smartphones China – April 30, 2015
- Market Monitor : Q1 2015 : Handset & Smartphone Markets – April 29, 2015